Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Garden Palace: Beer & Photography Museum



Looking through one of my many tourist books on Japan, one listing that caught my eye was the "Yebisu Beer Museum and National Photography Museum". Seeing that it was very close to Akasaka and just a few subway stops away I headed over to see what it was all about.Ebisu Station

From the station it was about a 20 minute walk in some nasty Tokyo heat before I got the Mitsukoshi (a large dept. store chain) development complex where both the museums were located. The complex had some great buildings and one very large tower called the Yebisu Garden Palace so I decided to grab some food high up and do a little exploring.
Restaurant on the 38th floor, great views

Walking from the Garden Palace to the Beer Museum, I crossed over a beautifully designed plaza with a path that led to a French restaurant in an old European style building.
I was really amazed by all the cool buildings so by the time I finally made it to the Beer Museum it was late in the afternoon.
giant sized beer cans

It was free to get in, and they had many exhibits about the history of the Sapporo Beer Company, one of Japan's oldest brands. After learning a little about how they brew the beer, they had a sample station at the very end of the museum where you can try 4 glasses of different beer for a bargain price. Unfortunately the place was so crowded that there was nowhere to sit, so these two guys I had seen earlier in the museum invited me over to sit with them. There was Chris, a businessman from California working with Morgan Stanley, and his friend Taro, also in business working for a large firm in Tokyo. They were both really cool guys and gave me some great insights into life in Tokyo along with suggestions for places to go and things to do.

After parting ways, I finished up my trip with a visit to the National Photography Museum.

They were running two exhibits at the time: 1)Contemporary Japanese Artistry - which was very subtle and kinda weird at times but nevertheless it was interesting; and 2) Pictures of Early America - a number of old photos mainly from life in American cities from 1910 - 1960, really cool to see. (Dad you would've liked it)

Till next time

1 comment:

Blair said...

DENIM COUCH!!!!

i wish they had beer museums here too. we should skype sometime.